Appalachian Trail's Antietam Shelter — A Requiem
Along the sprawling 2,181 mile Appalachian National Trail there are shelters providing refuge from the day’s hike. The first shelters along, what would become the longest continuously marked trail in the world, were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps program (CCC). The CCC was a public work assistance program for unmarried men and operated from 1933 until 1942. The shelters were different in each region where they were built, reflecting the construction style (and primary materials) of each area.
Today staff and volunteers of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy having traveled from as far away as the Hudson Valley in NY, gathered to say goodbye to a an old friend. The last original shelter along the Appalachian Trail will be dismantled. The shelter will be transported to Cowans Gap State Park, in Fort Loudon, PA (which was a CCC Camp). The Antietam Shelter will continue to serve hikers when it is reassembled there. The Tuscarora Trail passes through the park
The cold mountain stream in contrast to the snow cowvered ground adds to the nostalgia that is in the air along the Appalachian Trail.
Near the shelter is a spring that is monitored by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) that provides through and local hikers fresh cold drinking water.